About Silicon Valley Education Foundation
Who We Are
Silicon Valley Education Foundation (SVEF) is a non-profit resource and advocate for students, educators, and corporate and individual donors. We drive scholastic achievement in the critical areas of math and science by combining resources and partnerships to provide innovative academic programs. We are a catalyst for policy solutions in public education. Our mission is to make Silicon Valley the leader in academically prepared students. For more information about our recent key accomplishments, read our 2012 Annual Report.
- Our Vision is to transform Silicon Valley into a model for enhancing public education.
- Our Mission is to leverage partnerships and resources for public education, so all students can realize their full potential.
- Our Objective Silicon Valley will be the number one geographic area in California, in percentage of high school graduates academically prepared to complete post-secondary education.
Why We Matter
There has never been a more critical time to improve our schools. We must ensure our future workforce is prepared to take on the technological and business challenges that lie ahead. With an increasing gap of qualified workers to take over Silicon Valley jobs, our future as the heart of U.S. innovation is at risk.
What We Do
Everything we do supports our objective of Silicon Valley being the number one geographic area in California in the percentage of high school graduates academically prepared for college and careers. Our vision is to transform Silicon Valley into a model for enhancing public education, and we do this by leveraging partnerships and resources for public education so all students can realize their full potential.
Silicon Valley Education Foundation advocates for public education, organizes stakeholders, distributes resources, and connects assets to help prepare students for college and careers. Click here for a visual overview of how we support educators and school districts in service of the students in our region.
How We Do It
SVEF delivers programs and partners with organizations that support our mission of improving public education.
- STEM Education – “Stepping Up To Algebra” and “Stepping Up To Science” prepare students for success in eighth grade algebra and their first A-G college-track science course in ninth grade. Over 2000 students in Silicon Valley have benefited from SVEF programs. In summer 2011, pre- and post-assessments of students who completed the algebra program showed a double digit percent gain (31%) in proficiency. During the same time, over 200 ninth grade students attended a science preparation course that prepares them for the college track in high school. SVEF will soon launch a STEM website filled with resources to further boost STEM education.
- Advocacy – We research policy and exemplary programs to promote more equitable outcomes in student performance. Through our A-G course requirement initiative and college resources, we are helping school districts prepare more students in Silicon Valley for college and career success. Subscribe to our blog Thoughts On Public Education to learn more about education policies in California and Silicon Valley.
- Teacher Innovation Grants – SVEF has awarded over 750 grants from $500 to $1,000 to help teachers obtain classroom equipment for innovative student projects. Nationwide, teachers spend $936 of their own funds annually for classroom materials. This is money that they can ill-afford.
- Lessonopoly – Over 8,000 teachers use our online database of 10,000+ lesson plans. Partnerships with NBC and NASA have added valuable content to support teachers and enhance student learning.
- Education Forums – SVEF sponsors multiple thought-provoking discussions around vital education topics such as closing the education gap and encouraging more women to pursue STEM studies and careers.
- Partnerships – SVEF leverages partnerships and resources for public education so that all students can realize their full potential. Our goal is to pursue and solidify effective partnerships with corporations, foundations, other non-profits and schools to ensure we can provide the necessary resources for all students.
How You Can Help
Whether it’s time, money or an in-kind donation, our success - and that of our community - depends on the generosity of our investors and partners. Learn more about our investors and partners, or contact Rosemary Kamei at Rosemary@SVEFoundation.org to discuss how you can work with Silicon Valley Education Foundation. We invite you to make a donation to support our STEM education programs.